Tomato Basil SaladServes 4
Delicious TomatoRead More
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon minced shallot or onion
- 1 spring fresh rosemary
- 4 medium tomatoes cored, cut crosswise into ½ inch slices
- 8 large fresh basil leaves sliced very finely
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 ounces parmesan cheese very thinly sliced or grated
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or more to taste
Put the balsamic vinegar in a stainless steel or ceramic-coated pot over medium-high heat. Add the honey, garlic, shallot (onion), and rosemary sprig. Bring the ingredients to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Gently simmer the mixture, uncovered, until it has reduced to about 1/3 cup and is the consistency of syrup, about 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the stove and set it aside to cool. Strain if desired.
Arrange the tomato slices on individual plates. Scatter the basil evenly over the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with onion to taste.
Drizzle 1 ½ teaspoons of the balsamic reduction over each serving. (Don't drench the plates; the reduction is concentrated and very flavorful – a little goes a long way.) Top each serving with parmesan slices and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon oil, or more if you desire. Serve immediately.