Sweet flavor; stores well
Spanish Globe Onion Set
Sweet flavor; stores well
- Sweet, mild-flavored "long day" onion
- Large onion with crisp, firm flesh
- Stores well
AE AK GU HI ID PR WA
Spanish Globe onions are known for their sweet and mild flavor, as well as their crisp, firm flesh. Add slices to soups and stews, or dice into tiny cubes for pico de gallo. The yellowish, papery skin protects the flesh beneath so that they'll store in a cool, dry place for up to several months! It's a "long day" onion, meaning it grows best and begins forming bulbs when daylight lasts 14-16 hours. If you've run out of room in your garden for these delicious onions, try growing Spanish Globe Sets in our unique Grow Tubs. 85 days to maturity.
- Botanical Name: Allium cepa "Spanish Globe"
- Season: Spring
- Sun/Shade: Full Sun.
- Height: 12 - 18 inches.
- Spacing: 4 - 6 inches between plants, 12 - 24 inches between rows.
- Zone: 3 - 10. Annual.
- Spread: 3 - 4 inches.
- Foliage: Green strap-like foliage.
- Depth: 1-2 inches.
- Days to Maturity: 85 days
- Fruit: Large yellowish onion with a crisp, firm flesh. Stores well for months.
- Soil Preference: Well-drained, sandy fertile soil.
- Growth Rate: Medium to fast growth rate. Harvest when the tops turn yellow, lay down, and begin to dry out. Pull the onions and leave them in the fields to dry for 2-3 days. Tops should be dry before bringing them inside. Store onions in mesh bags, in a cool, dry plac
- Form: Upright, annual.
- Flowers: Clusters of star-shaped blooms.
- Seed Count: Approximately 80 sets per pint.
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|2019 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Lacewings, Lady Beetles & Encapsulated Earthworms||Nematodes|
|1A||5/3 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|1B - 2A||5/10 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|2B - 3B||4/26 - 11/1||4/26 - 11/1|
|4A - 6A||4/12 - 11/1||4/12 - 11/1|
|6B - 7A||4/5 - 11/1||4/5 - 11/1|
|7B - 8B||3/8 - 11/1||3/8 - 11/1|
|9A - 10B||2/22 - 11/1||2/22 - 11/1|
|Last Order Date||10/28/2019||10/28/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.