No need to peel
Shikou Hybrid Eggplant
No need to peel
- Thin, tender skin
- White flesh with very few seeds
- Stunning in the edible landscape
In Japanese, "Shikou" means "supreme" so it's fitting that this eggplant is named Shikou Hybrid. Glossy, dark purple skin and a purple stem make this fruit a stunning addition to the edible landscape. Eggplants are 6-8 inches long and about 1 ½ inches wide with white flesh and very few seeds. It has thin, tender skin which requires no peeling, so meal prep is quick and easy—just slice and enjoy grilled, sautéed or added to your favorite stir-fry. 70-80 days to maturity.
- Botanical Name: Solanum melongena 'Shikou'
- Season: both Spring & Fall
- Sun/Shade: Full sun
- Height: 18-24 inches.
- Spacing: 18 - 24 inches between plants. 30 - 42 inches between rows.
- Zone: 3-9 (Annual)
- Spread: 18-24 inches.
- Foliage: Green, typical eggplant foliage.
- Depth: Lightly cover if planting seeds. Plant the plants at the same depth as in the pot.
- Germination: 7 - 14 days
- Days to Maturity: 70-80 days
- Yield: Good yields
- Fruit: Long Asian type eggplant, 6-8 inches long and 1-1 1/2 inch wide. Dark purple skin with white flesh and very few seeds.
- Soil Preference: Fertile, well-drained, sandy loam; pH7.0-7.8
- Growth Rate: Moderate growth rate.
- Form: Upright
- Seed Count: Approximately 20 seeds per packet.
- Pollinator: Self pollinating.
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|2019 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Lacewings, Lady Beetles & Encapsulated Earthworms||Nematodes|
|1A||5/3 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|1B - 2A||5/10 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|2B - 3B||4/26 - 11/1||4/26 - 11/1|
|4A - 6A||4/12 - 11/1||4/12 - 11/1|
|6B - 7A||4/5 - 11/1||4/5 - 11/1|
|7B - 8B||3/8 - 11/1||3/8 - 11/1|
|9A - 10B||2/22 - 11/1||2/22 - 11/1|
|Last Order Date||10/28/2019||10/28/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.