Delicious, fragrant sage
Delicious, fragrant sage
- Dusty green leaves with velvety texture
- Delicious with dressings, sausage and squash
- Beautifully fragrant
- A perennial herb that lasts for years
Sage's handsome, dusty green leaves are great for use in dressings, sausage, sauces, and even tea! Their velvety texture gives the leaves that slightly gray sheen, and they smell delicious! Fry them up in a bit of oil until crisp and use them as a garnish on pork dishes, or any dish with butternut squash. Sage plants can grow between 18-30" tall, and when it flowers, the blooms will be violet blue and showy. Whether you grow it inside or out, save your sage with our Herb Keeper, which immerses the ends of plucked herbs in water to keep them lasting for weeks longer than they normally would. Perennial. 75 days to maturity.
- Botanical Name: Salvia officinalis
- Season: both Spring & Fall
- Sun/Shade: Full sun
- Height: 18 - 30 inches.
- Spacing: 18 inches apart.
- Zone: 4 - 8 (-30 degrees F)
- Spread: 18 - 24 inches.
- Color: Violet-blue, showy flowers.
- Foliage: Rough textured, long oval, fragrant leaves of gray-green to yellow-green
- Depth: Cover seeds lightly. Plant potted plant the same level as in the pot.
- Blooms: Mid-summer; blooms 2 -3 weeks.
- Germination: 10 - 21 days
- Days to Maturity: 75 days.
- Soil Preference: Well-drained, average garden soil. 6.4 pH soil
- Growth Rate: Moderate growth rate.
- Pruning: Harvest as needed. Pinch the growing tips of your Sage plant several times during spring and early summer. This will produce a bushier plant and slow the formation of flower buds.
- Form: Upright, perennial shrub, develops woody stems with age.
- Flowers: Tall spikes
- Seed Count: Approximately 100 seeds per packet.
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|2019 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Lacewings, Lady Beetles & Encapsulated Earthworms||Nematodes|
|1A||5/3 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|1B - 2A||5/10 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|2B - 3B||4/26 - 11/1||4/26 - 11/1|
|4A - 6A||4/12 - 11/1||4/12 - 11/1|
|6B - 7A||4/5 - 11/1||4/5 - 11/1|
|7B - 8B||3/8 - 11/1||3/8 - 11/1|
|9A - 10B||2/22 - 11/1||2/22 - 11/1|
|Last Order Date||10/28/2019||10/28/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.