A candy-sweet red onion
Red Candy Apple Onion
A candy-sweet red onion
- Sweet enough to enjoy raw
- Violet-red bulbs, slightly squashed globes
- Will store for 2-3 months
- Day neutral performs well in most areas
AE AK GA GU HI ID PR WA
These beautiful red onions are so sweet you can eat them raw! The bulbs are a vivid red-violet in color, with 4", slightly flattened globes. Slice into wedges to bring some color to your kebabs, or slice into half-moons and add to stir-fries for a delicious crunch. It will store in a cool, dry, dark place for 2-3 months. Whatever zone you grow it in, Red Candy Apple will perform well! Just make sure it has full sunlight and is planted in rich, well-drained, sandy and loamy soil. It's a Day Neutral onion, so it will perform well in most areas of the United States. 95 days to maturity.
- Botanical Name: Allium cepa 'Red Candy Apple'; Family: Liliaceae (lily family)
- Season: Spring
- Sun/Shade: Full sun.
- Height: 6 - 10 inches.
- Spacing: 4 - 6 inches between plants and 12 - 24 inches between rows.
- Zone: 3 - 9 (-30 degrees F.) annual.
- Spread: 3 - 5 inches.
- Foliage: Green strap-like foliage.
- Depth: 1-2 inches
- Germination: 8 - 10 days.
- Days to Maturity: 95 days.
- Fruit: Attractive red color; slightly flattened globe shaped. 4 inch globes.
- Soil Preference: Rich, well-drained sandy loamy soil. pH 6.0 - 6.8.
- Growth Rate: Moderate growth rate.
- Pruning: None needed.
- Form: Upright foliage, bulb
- Size: 4 inch globes.
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|2019 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Lacewings, Lady Beetles & Encapsulated Earthworms||Nematodes|
|1A||5/3 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|1B - 2A||5/10 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|2B - 3B||4/26 - 11/1||4/26 - 11/1|
|4A - 6A||4/12 - 11/1||4/12 - 11/1|
|6B - 7A||4/5 - 11/1||4/5 - 11/1|
|7B - 8B||3/8 - 11/1||3/8 - 11/1|
|9A - 10B||2/22 - 11/1||2/22 - 11/1|
|Last Order Date||10/28/2019||10/28/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.