Even sweeter than 'Honeycrisp'
Pixie Crunch™ Apple Tree
Even sweeter than 'Honeycrisp'
- Full-sized fruit from a smaller tree
- Taste-test winner--sweet mouthwatering flavor & juiciness
- Easier to grow than Honeycrisp
- Handles late frost better than other varieties
Pixie Crunch™ is hands down the best apple for fresh eating. With unsurpassed sweetness, juiciness and crisp texture, it's the go-to choice for recipes and baked goods as it cooks up tender every time. It's a favorite with children, too, who we've seen choose this apple over candy and sweets! And now, available as a Reachables® Tree, Pixie Crunch is easier than ever to grow. Reaching just 6-8 feet tall, it can be planted in your garden, orchard or even in a pot. Reachables are easier to manage than full-sized trees—one person can prune, spray, net and harvest the tree all without the use of a ladder! Please note: Because Reachables produce full-sized fruit on smaller trees, they require a tree support. Pixie Crunch ripens in late August. Zones 5-8. PP13871.
Reachables® Deluxe - Deluxe fruit trees include 2 oz. Quik-Cal Pelletized Calcium to enhance fruit quality, 12 oz. bag of Fruit Tree Food Starter Formula, easy-to-use tree ties, a premium tree guard to protect the trunk from gnawing pests, mowers and weed trimmers, and a copy of Backyard Horticulture for Fun and Profit—How to Make $10,000 in Your Spare Time.
NOTE: We are unable to ship our trees to PO Boxes at this time.
- Botanical Name: Malus domestica 'Pixie Crunch' PP13871
- Season: Fall
- Sun/Shade: Full Sun
- Height: Standard: 22-25 feet. Reachables: 6-8 feet. Reachables tree heights will vary some based on location, soil, light, temperature, and other environmental factors.
- Spacing: Standard: 15-18 feet. Reachables: 6-10 feet.
- Zone: 5 - 8 (-10° F.)
- Spread: Standard: 15-20 feet
- Foliage: Green foliage.
- Depth: Locate the planting depth indicator, the marked line above the tree's root system. The graft should be about 2 inches above the soil surface.
- Blooms: Early to mid-season.
- Yield: Standard: 5 - 10 bushels at maturity. Reachables: 3/4 - 1 bushel.
- Fruit: Medium red, medium-size fruit, (with proper thinning), elongated round in shape. Flavor is super sweet, incredibly crisp and very juicy.
- Soil Preference: Well-drained, deep, fertile soil.
- Growth Rate: Medium growth rate.
- Pruning: Prune in late winter/early spring, while trees are still dormant. There are normally two goals when pruning an apple tree: 1. Initially, on young trees, to encourage a strong, solid framework. 2. On mature trees to maintain shape, maximize sun exposure and encourage fruit production. You will also want to remove any suckers coming from the rootstock. Unwanted shoots and suckers can be removed at any time. Also remove any crossed, crowded or inward-growing limbs in late winter or very early spring.
- Form: Deciduous. Spreading, twiggy.
- Pollinator: Sundance, Liberty, Gala, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious.
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|2019 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Lacewings, Lady Beetles & Encapsulated Earthworms||Nematodes|
|1A||5/3 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|1B - 2A||5/10 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|2B - 3B||4/26 - 11/1||4/26 - 11/1|
|4A - 6A||4/12 - 11/1||4/12 - 11/1|
|6B - 7A||4/5 - 11/1||4/5 - 11/1|
|7B - 8B||3/8 - 11/1||3/8 - 11/1|
|9A - 10B||2/22 - 11/1||2/22 - 11/1|
|Last Order Date||10/28/2019||10/28/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.