Large fruit with a unique custard flavor
Large fruit with a unique custard flavor
These unique fruits are full of nutrition: high in vitamin C, magnesium, iron, copper, and manganese, and a good source of potassium, amino acids, riboflavin, niacin, calcium, phosphorus and zinc. They're a rarity in grocery stores because of their tragically short shelf life, so grow on your own to experience the best flavor--often described as a tropical blend of banana, pineapple and mango! In the springtime, dainty maroon flowers give way to huge, pale green fruits that can be harvested in early fall. Two or more plants are needed for pollination; the more you plant together, the better the fruit production will be.
AE AK GU HI PR
- Botanical Name: Asimina triloba; Family: Annonaceae (Custard Apple Family)
- Season: Spring
- Sun/Shade: Full sun.
- Height: 15 - 30 feet.
- Spacing: 15 - 20 feet.
- Zone: 5 - 9 (-10° F.).
- Spread: 15 - 25 feet.
- Color: Purple flowers.
- Foliage: Deep green, drooping, oval leaves, 4 x 12 inches.
- Depth: Plant at the same depth it is in the pot.
- Blooms: Spring.
- Fruit: Greenish-yellow, almost black when ripe.
- Soil Preference: Rich, moist, well-drained, organic, slightly acidic soil. pH of 5.5 - 7.0.
- Growth Rate: Medium to fast growth rate. Approximately 2 feet per year.
- Pruning: You can prune them back to about a meter high and they will then throw several new branches from below the cut. Each branch will bear fruit and, provided that you fertilize the tree well, the fruit will be of a good size. You can repeat the pruning on each of the branches once they again become too tall to harvest easily.
- Form: Small deciduous tree, rounded.
- Flowers: Tulip-shaped; fragrant.
- Pollinator: Plant 2 - 3 plants to ensure pollination. Pawpaw trees are not self fertile. Pollen must be transferred to the female flowers of a different Pawpaw tree. The more trees that are planted in a grouping the better pollination, resulting in better fruit produ
- Restricted States: AE AK GU HI PR
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|Spring 2018 Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Sweet Potatoes||Bareroot Roses||Tomatoes & Peppers||Potatoes||Tender Annuals||Onion Plants||All other Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4A||5/22 - 6/8||4/17 - 6/1||5/14 - 6/1||3/27 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||4/10 - 5/11||5/1 - 6/8|
|4B||5/22 - 6/8||4/17 - 6/1||5/14 - 6/1||3/27 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||4/3 - 5/11||5/1 - 6/8|
|5A||5/15 - 6/8||4/3 - 6/1||5/14 - 6/1||3/6 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/27 - 5/11||4/3 - 6/8|
|5B||5/1 - 6/8||3/20 - 6/1||5/14 - 6/1||3/6 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/27 - 5/11||3/20 - 6/8|
|6A||5/1 - 6/8||3/6 - 6/1||4/23 - 6/1||3/6 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/6 - 5/11||3/6 - 6/8|
|6B||5/1 - 6/8||3/6 - 6/1||4/23 - 6/1||3/6 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/27 - 5/11||3/6 - 6/8|
|7A||5/1 - 6/8||2/27 - 6/1||4/23 - 6/1||2/27 - 6/15||4/2 - 6/8||2/20 - 5/11||2/27 - 6/8|
|7B||5/1 - 6/8||2/27 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/1||2/27 - 6/15||4/2 - 6/8||2/13 - 5/11||2/27 - 6/8|
|8A & B||4/24 - 6/8||2/20 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/1||2/20 - 6/15||4/2 - 6/8||1/30 - 5/11||2/20 - 5/18|
|9A & B||4/24 - 6/8||1/23 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/1||2/13 - 6/15||4/2 - 6/8||1/2 - 5/11||2/13 - 5/18|
|10A & B||4/17 - 6/8||1/23 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/1||2/13 - 6/15||4/2 - 6/8||1/2 - 5/11||2/13 - 5/18|
|Last Order Date||6/4/2018||5/28/2018||5/28/2018||6/11/2018||6/4/2018||5/7/2018||1A-7B: 6/4/2018
|Spring 2018 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Lacewings, Lady Beetles|
& Encapsulated Earthworms
|1A||5/12 - 6/15||5/15 - 6/15|
|1B - 2A||5/15 - 6/15||5/15 - 6/15|
|2B - 3B||5/1 - 6/15||5/1 - 6/15|
|4A - 6A||4/17 - 6/15||4/17 - 6/15|
|6B - 7A||4/10 - 6/15||4/10 - 6/15|
|7B - 8B||3/13 - 6/15||3/13 - 6/15|
|9A - 10B||2/27 - 6/15||2/27 - 6/15|
|Last Order Date||6/11/18||6/11/18|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order—via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.