Adds nitrogen to soil
Hairy Vetch Cover Crop
Adds nitrogen to soil
- Reintroduces nitrogen to the soil
- Great for soil that will support roses, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers and squash
- Good weed suppression
AE AK GU HI PR
If your soil isn't producing the way it used to, it's time to introduce it to a cover crop! Cover crops fortify your soil with the minerals it's lost over time, improving tilth and introducing plenty of organic material and beneficial microorganisms back into the soil. Cover crops also help to reduce erosion and can even prevent weeds! Hairy Vetch is great for reintroducing nitrogen to the soil for plants that need lots of it, like roses, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers and squash. It grows tall and dense, with small trumpet-shaped, purple flowers. Use a hand broadcaster to sow 2 lbs per 1,000 square feet of soil.
- Season: both Spring & Fall
- Sun/Shade: Full sun
- Germination: 10 - 14 days. Ideal temperature for germination is about 68 degrees F. If the soil temperature is too cold, the seed will not germinate. Plant vetch 30 to 45 days before killing frost for winter annual management.
- Soil Preference: Till soil so that after seed is sown, seed can be raked into the top 1/4" of finely worked soil. (A leaf rake works better for this purpose than a garden rake, but either will do.) Watering will hasten germination.
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|2019 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Lacewings, Lady Beetles & Encapsulated Earthworms||Nematodes|
|1A||5/3 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|1B - 2A||5/10 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|2B - 3B||4/26 - 11/1||4/26 - 11/1|
|4A - 6A||4/12 - 11/1||4/12 - 11/1|
|6B - 7A||4/5 - 11/1||4/5 - 11/1|
|7B - 8B||3/8 - 11/1||3/8 - 11/1|
|9A - 10B||2/22 - 11/1||2/22 - 11/1|
|Last Order Date||10/28/2019||10/28/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.