Stores well for long periods
Covington Sweet Potato
Stores well for long periods
- Rosy pink skin with bright orange flesh
- Abundant yields store better than Beauregard
- Resistant to Russet crack and Southern root-knot nematode
AE AK GU HI PR
Great flavor and yield, plus a resistance to Russet crack and Southern root-knot nematode, make Covington a superior variety of sweet potato. It's an improvement over Beauregard sweet potatoes, with more uniform roots, better disease resistance, and higher storage quality. Developed at North Carolina State, this delicious tuber is great for boiling, roasting or mashing! Its bright orange flesh is hidden by rosy pink skin, and produces a crop with a heavy yield. It's a medium-sized sweet potato with a generally uniform shape: oblong and tapered to a point at the ends. Bake them and then mash into a flavorful side dish, or cube them and add to breakfast and brunch scrambles with sausage and eggs. Not available in AL, AR, CA. 100-115 days to maturity.
- Botanical Name: Ipomoea batata 'Covington'
- Season: Spring
- Sun/Shade: Full Sun
- Height: 12-15 inches.
- Spacing: Space plants 12 - 18 inches apart, in rows that are 3 feet apart.
- Zone: 3-9
- Spread: 6-12 feet.
- Foliage: Green, heart-shaped leaves.
- Depth: Set plants 2 - 3 inches deep into the soil. Firm soil with fingertips and water well.
- Blooms: Early Summer, Mid Summer, Late Summer, All Summer
- Days to Maturity: 100 - 115 Days
- Yield: Heavy yield - equivalent to Beauregard.
- Fruit: Bright orange flesh, rose colored skin.
- Soil Preference: Loamy Soil
- Growth Rate: Moderate growth rate.
- Form: Vegetable, Sweet Potato
- Flowers: Flower color is violet - pale pink.
- Pollinator: Self-pollinating
- Size: 12 Plants
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|Fall 2020 Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||All Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-4A||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|4B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|5A||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|5B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|6A||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|6B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|7A||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|7B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|8A & B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|9A & B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|10A & B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|Last Order Date||10/26/2020|
|2020 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Nematodes & Encapsulated Worms|
|1A||5/13/20 - 10/30/20|
|1B - 2A||5/13/20 - 10/30/20|
|2B - 3B||4/29/20 - 10/30/20|
|4A - 6A||4/15/20 - 10/30/20|
|6B - 7A||4/8/20 - 10/30/20|
|7B - 8B||3/11/20 - 10/30/20|
|9A - 10B||2/25/20 - 10/30/20|
|Last Order Date||10/23/2020|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.