Mild, buttery-flavored lettuce
Buttercrunch Butterhead Lettuce
Mild, buttery-flavored lettuce
- Mild, sweet buttery flavor that's never bitter
- Dark green, reddish leaves
- Bolt resistant
With a mild, sweet, buttery flavor that's never bitter, Buttercrunch has a larger, more compact yellow-white heart than other bibb types. Its dark green, reddish-tinged leaves form 4.5" rosettes of thick, blistered leaves that are bolt resistant (so they won't produce nutrient-diverting flowering stems) and free from Mosaic Virus. Take the guesswork out of planting them with our Buttercrunch seed tape! The seeds are encased in biodegradable paper that protects them during germination and dissolves in the course of watering. Simply cut the tape to the desired length, place in the garden or in one of our Grow Tub® containers and water as usual, with no worries about over- or under-seeding! 65 days to maturity.
- Botanical Name: Lactuca sativa 'Buttercrunch'; Family: Asteraceae (Daisy Family)
- Season: both Spring & Fall
- Sun/Shade: Full sun.
- Height: 6 - 8 inches.
- Spacing: 12 - 18 inches between heads, 18 - 30 inches between rows.
- Zone: 3 - 9 annual.
- Spread: 6 - 8 inches.
- Foliage: Dark green leaves with a yellow-white heart.
- Depth: 1/4 inch deep.
- Germination: 8 - 10 days.
- Days to Maturity: 65 days.
- Yield: 100 heads per 100 foot row.
- Fruit: Small, rosette heads. Compact, dark green with yellow-white heart. Thick, juicy leaves.
- Soil Preference: Rich, moist, well-drained soil with a 6.0 - 6.8 pH.
- Growth Rate: Medium to fast growth rate.
- Form: Upright, annual.
- Seed Count: Approximately 500 seeds per packet and 1/2 oz. is approximately 12,000 seeds. The seed tape is 15 feet long and has approximately 360 seeds.
- Size: 4.5 inch heads.
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|Fall 2020 Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||All Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-4A||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|4B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|5A||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|5B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|6A||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|6B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|7A||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|7B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|8A & B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|9A & B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|10A & B||9/21/20 - 10/30/20|
|Last Order Date||10/26/2020|
|2020 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Nematodes & Encapsulated Worms|
|1A||5/13/20 - 10/30/20|
|1B - 2A||5/13/20 - 10/30/20|
|2B - 3B||4/29/20 - 10/30/20|
|4A - 6A||4/15/20 - 10/30/20|
|6B - 7A||4/8/20 - 10/30/20|
|7B - 8B||3/11/20 - 10/30/20|
|9A - 10B||2/25/20 - 10/30/20|
|Last Order Date||10/23/2020|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.