Big Rainbow Tomato
- Stunning shades of gold to scarlet
- Fruits as large as 2 lbs.
- Complex balance of acid & sugar
- Resistant to cracking
- Resistant to foliar diseases
Big Rainbow is one of the most beautiful tomatoes we've seen. Fruits show up in lovely shades of gold to scarlet and all shade variations in between. Tomatoes grow as big as 2 pounds and have a complex balance of acids and sugars that give it its genuinely old-fashioned tomato flavor. Resistant to cracking and foliar diseases. Indeterminate. 90 days to maturity.
- Botanical Name: Lycoperiscon lycopersicum 'Big Rainbow'
- Season: both Spring & Fall
- Sun/Shade: Full Sun.
- Height: 5 - 8 feet, Indeterminate
- Spacing: 24 - 36 inches.
- Zone: 3 - 9 annual.
- Spread: 2 - 4 feet.
- Foliage: Green foliage.
- Depth: Plant seeds 1/4 inch deep. Transplant outdoors after any chance of frost is past. When transplanting, set the plant deep, up to the first true leaves, by digging a deep hole or trench. The stem will develop roots along its length.
- Germination: 5 - 10 days.
- Days to Maturity: 90 days from transplant.
- Fruit: Stunning shades of gold to scarlet and everything in between. Giant fruits up to 2 lbs. have a rich balance of acids and sugars giving it a true old-fashioned taste.
- Soil Preference: Well-drained, humus enriched soil.
- Growth Rate: Moderate growth rate.
- Pruning: Prune by cutting out suckers (auxiliary shoots between the stems and the leaves) to produce larger fruit. Fruit also ripens earlier since the sun can reach it more easily.
- Form: Vining.Indeterminate (will grow and produce fruit until frost. These plants should be supported by stakes or tomato cages).
- Flowers: Small yellow flowers.
- Seed Count: Approximately 30 seeds per packet.
- Pollinator: Self pollinating.
Orders for in-stock seeds and hardgoods are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below:
|2019 Insects Shipping Schedule|
|Zones||Lacewings, Lady Beetles & Encapsulated Earthworms||Nematodes|
|1A||5/3 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|1B - 2A||5/10 - 11/1||5/10 - 11/1|
|2B - 3B||4/26 - 11/1||4/26 - 11/1|
|4A - 6A||4/12 - 11/1||4/12 - 11/1|
|6B - 7A||4/5 - 11/1||4/5 - 11/1|
|7B - 8B||3/8 - 11/1||3/8 - 11/1|
|9A - 10B||2/22 - 11/1||2/22 - 11/1|
|Last Order Date||10/28/2019||10/28/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order--via the U.S. Postal Service or United Parcel Service. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the continental United States.